No Locked Squads Rule

Wingman

No Locked Squads Rule

Post by Wingman »

Hello RIP. I'd like to ask a senior admin to explain the Squad server rule that you enforce: No Locked Squads - and specifically why there is no "Except Clans" addition to that rule yet.

From my perspective, it is severly disrupting a gameplay of my squads. I will gladly elaborate this if there is a will to get a feedback from the senior admins here.
Planetgong
Captain
Captain

Re: No Locked Squads Rule

Post by Planetgong »

Hi wingman.
Thx for coming on our forums to discuss the rule "No locked squads".
This rule is here to promote a welcoming and teamplaying atmosphere on our servers.
If we had locked squads allowed, we would have the situation of 5, 6 or 7 locked, two or three men squads on each side, which is completly against one of the core ideas of the game itself: teamplay.
We do not do any exceptions on this rule like "except clans" as we do not allow our own members to do "RIP only" squads during the week. Only exceptions is friday nights on "RIP vs world", where it is allowed for our members to stack on one side.
One of the main reasons we have around 300 members in our clan is the fact, that we don't have locked squads allowed on our servers.
You're still allowed to kick everybody from your squad, you don't want to play with.
Just name it: -insert clanname- squad- will kick.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Post by Alan »

And also, whatever criticism you might have of the rule for an inconvenience it causes you, *it works*.

RIP is one of the most popular, if not the most popular servers globally, before we limited the server queue we were seeing up around 40 players in the queue. I believe the main reason for that is that we have the some of the best team play, and I think one of the biggest factors in that is that we have full squads with good squad leaders, and not a ton of small squads with playing with their 2 friends on teamspeak or discord comm's.
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Thanks for explaining it Planetgong. I appreciate the welcoming and supportive attitude of the RIP community, PR and Squad kinda have history on that. I will leave some feedback for this rule here from the perspective of my InFA clan (more of a bunch of friends than a gaming clan), and as a once proud member of =MeRk= PR clan that run the server back in the day and kept it healthy.

Unlike 7-8 years ago when we all (InFA) had more time to play, admin, and seed the servers, now we are much tighter with free time to play and like to spare it on quality squad/team play once we get on the server. We are all experienced team players and we strive to keep it on a high level. I don't mind leading the squads of random players when I have time, but I/we usually don't, we are in for 2-3 games on gaming night. Now that you know the background of the scene, here is where your server rule breaks the team play:

1. Keeping the squad open for random new players that join is taking a significant amount of time and effort of an SL, and thus severely disrupting the level of play of an experienced squad. Further, it is reducing the effectiveness of the whole team. For an experienced squad that takes and holds any positions on the maps without much fuss, this can be a severe handicap;
2. If other clans are trying to train new clan members to achieve a higher level of teamplay, random people in the squad will simply disrupt that;
3. Some types of squads are much more effective with less than 5 people in it. Logistic, heli, armor squads, but also infantry squads that prefer diversion tactics, or building FOBs - to name a few;
4. Unlike in Project Reality, in Squad there is no technical squad limit, so no-one will be left alone, everyone can always create a squad and do their thing;
5. Kit-whores, "lone wolves" and other types appreciate this "no locked squads" rule above everyone else. Normal solid player creates a squad and carries on, if there are no free slots in other squads;
6. One awful solution is to keep explaining to everyone new joining the squad that it's clan-only and we don't need more people. Of course, 90% of people play deaf, like for everything else in Squad, and then they get kicked out of the squad. This is not nice thing to do, especially because they lose the kit, and again you have SL wasting time, disrupting the squad, and a kicked player like a stray dog;
7. If RIP wants to promote teaching ignorant players how to roll in Squad by keeping squads open for everyone - that is to be praised, yet you should not force that to players outside of your clan.

To reply to Planetgong's points:
- "we would have the situation of 5, 6 or 7 locked two or three men squads on each side" - if you promote a higher level of teamplay, then this is not something to worry about, because people communicate. If people are not communicating, it's crap even if they are all bunched up in 2 dysfunctional squads. Note here that some servers also have "No locked squads under 4 players" variation of the rule, which would be the win-win deal for both RIP and other clans on your servers.
- "Only exceptions is Friday nights on "RIP vs world", where it is allowed for our members to stack on one side." - but you don't allow other clans to stack on any other day. Also, more and more servers allow "except clans", I stated several reasons for it above, there is more. Please keep an open mind and take a look out there.
- "we have around 300 members in our clan is the fact" that your clan is hoarding members like most of the clans in any other game. No offense meant honestly, I don't mind that. Numbers don't mean much if you have members who just came for the reserved slot and don't admin and contribute (and once the Squad launch rush passes - won't seed, and most of all, won't play).

To emphasize: I like your server, I think that teamplay is higher than average at least, Brits have always done it the best anyway if you ask me. Don't take this writing as an attack, take this as feedback, or another perspective, and please take time for consideration. Cheers.
DonPoedel

Post by DonPoedel »

You do realize we cannot cater to every mans desire, right? AFAIK and I just check the rules again, clan stacking is allowed 24/7. We as RIP however cannot have more than 6 in our squad and we need to be spread even +-2. Seems to me we as members took the short straw.

Anyway, next time you want to ask for a rule change, dont insult the community. We have strict rules and screenings before we even interview people. The fact that you apologize twice makes it worse.

My 2 cents:

You just want to play with your super elitist group, the fact is, when we allow locked squad you and your elite friends wont ever SL pubs.

To emphasize: Don't take this writing as an attack, take this as feedback, or another perspective.
wintski
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by wintski »

We do not allow locked squads and wont i'm afraid. Its not about any aspect of the game like special squads, kits, mates or clans.

We are welcoming to new players and wont leave them out, thats how we grow as we dont judge on experience or skill level, we are just humans that like a game, speak English and work together without immaturity and abuse. All players have to start somewhere and most blossom in time.

However you may name your squad "3 man", "my clan only" and kick anyone you like for any reason as Planetgong has said.

We have had this rule since locking squads was added and it predates Squad in [RIP], I appreciate the time you have taken to post but this is something we wont budge on.

Most clans get their own server and have their own rules, like us.
CaZ
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by CaZ »

Just like to add that most regular players on RIP are familiar with naming a squad "clan name only" or 2man BTR. There's a big influx of new players nowadays that disregard reading squad names which results in them being kicked from certain squads but they catch on pretty quick.

And don't worry about kicking players. Most say sorry, read the squad name. Other's just kick them. They're responsible for reading the squad name before joining one.
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Man this is a lot of text hehe.

I feel like you did come here to give "feedback" on our rule and manage to insult community more than few times...

You did miss one thing. You have clan which plays squad on servers together. We are multigaming community. Which means we play multiple games not just squad. We accept all good ppl not just all good players. And you would be suprised how much ppl know each other here as friends not just as some ppl playing together. We help each other not just populating server and seed it.

About rule. I am glad on our servers all players have same rules. No matter if he is RIP or he has other clan tag or he is new player or veteran w/o any tag. I don't feel like we should enable clans to lock squads just because they are clan.

Other than that I had lots of fun with random players even I play few hours a week. This "don't have time to bother with randoms" is just lame excuse in my opinion... Once you go over that barrier "random player bad" you should try just join random squad.

On 2nd If clan wanna do own thing on public server as train and show game to new mwmber I don't see an issue going to any other server for that training and lock squad. And than joining back to our server to play.
3rd: we have plenty of that kind of squads and they work unlocked too.
4th: you did miss point of that rule. We don't wanna everyone do own thing. We wanna promote teamwork.
Also new players tend to join squads not open ones.
5th: again same as 4th. If some just creates squad to have one there are high chances they will not lead, or wear SL kit but lonewolf or join where most ppl is and jist run alone.
6th: as I did see on our server most ppl react with "oh ok, sorry" and just leave.
7th: again. This is community server and we have same rules for all players. (some additional for RIP members to keep balance)

My conclusion is that this rule should stay and at the end no1 is forcing you to play on our server if you don't agree with rules. Most of ppl on our servers agree with rules.
★PL Gunner's Gladiators★SRO★
Wingman

Post by Wingman »

Thank you all for replying especially the clan leader, I understand your point of view better now. Placing priority on being new-player friendly is fine, no argue about that. [: See you out on the field. GLHF
wintski
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by wintski »

Bless ya and good luck out there!