Map Rotation Vote?

Ki6ania
Corporal
Corporal

Map Rotation Vote?

Post by Ki6ania »

Quick question, if a vote on the next map in rotation from the pubs would make sense to implement?
On other servers they send out 3 options of 3 different maps for the folks to have a vote on. Is it somethin that maybe would be interesting to do on ours?
Mikaan

Re: Map Rotation Vote?

Post by Mikaan »

I get the pros of a map vote system but it has big cons too.
For me, as a newer player, I dont mind what map we play since I need to learn them anyway but it also keeps the game fresh (i'd presume) for more veteran players since what'll most likely end up happening is that like 5 (or so) maps will always be voted and the lesser ones will always be shafted.

I also dont really know how, on average, balanced maps and layers are and you might get more stomps since people can more quickly learn good tactics on specific map+layer combinations.

In the end I guess it comes down to who you'd like to cater to.
Ki6ania
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ki6ania »

You can include new maps into the vote. From what I usually see from our server is that once an unpopular maps get in, specifically Sumari Bala at around 10-11 pm CET we have a mass disconnect, and the server is just left for dead. Could probably be avoided if the players are given a choice and they pick a preferred map
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Mikaan wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:28 pm I get the pros of a map vote system but it has big cons too.
For me, as a newer player, I dont mind what map we play since I need to learn them anyway but it also keeps the game fresh (i'd presume) for more veteran players since what'll most likely end up happening is that like 5 (or so) maps will always be voted and the lesser ones will always be shafted.

I also dont really know how, on average, balanced maps and layers are and you might get more stomps since people can more quickly learn good tactics on specific map+layer combinations.

In the end I guess it comes down to who you'd like to cater to.
Not so concern about tactics learned as those are ez to learn over time and they are highly dependable on ppl you play with.

That said I totally agree with you on map selection. In 90% of community servers where map is selectable (older BF games for example) people tend to select same map or layer or game mode all the time.

Reason is in first place i wanna vote for my favorite map above all.

One possible issue also could be ppl voting for map they wanna play and they don’t care if that map or layer was 2 rounds ago. Than in 2h new ppl join and vote for same map.

Imo we have good balance of layers. Ofcorse it won’t fit everyone. They are bound to be complaints. All in all i would say fits most ppl.

Ppl who play each night for hours do play same layer often but imagine playing same layer 3 times a night. Even best layer would get boring fast.
★PL Gunner's Gladiators★SRO★
Ki6ania
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ki6ania »

You don't have to offer on vote the repeated maps, every batch of 3 can be totally different ones, and exclude the one played in previous 3-4 matches...

As example:

Vote 1:
Fallujah_RAAS_v1
Belaya_RAAS_v2
AlBasrah_AAS_v2

Vote 2:
Chora_AAS_v6
Mutaha_RAAS_v2
Tallil_RAAS_v5

Vote 3:
BlackCoast_AAS_v2
Harju_Invasion_v5
Narva_RAAS_v3

Vote 4:
Yehorivka_RAAS_v10
Gorodok_Destruction_v1
Belaya_RAAS_v3

And etc.

I am repeated myself, but it could be effective way to avoid mass disconnection when a very unpopular maps arrives, I think.

If that's not the reason why there is a mass disconnect, while other servers are still full, them I'm lost...
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Ki6ania wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:17 am You don't have to offer on vote the repeated maps, every batch of 3 can be totally different ones, and exclude the one played in previous 3-4 matches...

As example:

Vote 1:
Fallujah_RAAS_v1
Belaya_RAAS_v2
AlBasrah_AAS_v2

Vote 2:
Chora_AAS_v6
Mutaha_RAAS_v2
Tallil_RAAS_v5

Vote 3:
BlackCoast_AAS_v2
Harju_Invasion_v5
Narva_RAAS_v3

Vote 4:
Yehorivka_RAAS_v10
Gorodok_Destruction_v1
Belaya_RAAS_v3

And etc.

I am repeated myself, but it could be effective way to avoid mass disconnection when a very unpopular maps arrives, I think.

If that's not the reason why there is a mass disconnect, while other servers are still full, them I'm lost...
Is it possible to set up what maps are voted or it is random? Don’t know exactly but i think maps to be voted are random from pool of maps.

As for mass disconnect: it happens on the end of the round and most ppl leave each day about the same time. It does depend on map that is played on but not as often. Only pattern i did notice is ppl leaving on working days aprox 10:30-11pm (CET) weekends it tends to be bit longer. On 10.02. It was populated for some reason till 4am.
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Ki6ania wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:17 am You don't have to offer on vote the repeated maps, every batch of 3 can be totally different ones, and exclude the one played in previous 3-4 matches...

As example:

Vote 1:
Fallujah_RAAS_v1
Belaya_RAAS_v2
AlBasrah_AAS_v2

Vote 2:
Chora_AAS_v6
Mutaha_RAAS_v2
Tallil_RAAS_v5

Vote 3:
BlackCoast_AAS_v2
Harju_Invasion_v5
Narva_RAAS_v3

Vote 4:
Yehorivka_RAAS_v10
Gorodok_Destruction_v1
Belaya_RAAS_v3

And etc.

Is it possible to set up what maps are voted or it is random? Don’t know exactly but i think maps to be voted are random from pool of maps.

As for mass disconnect: it happens on the end of the round and most ppl leave each day about the same time. It does depend on map that is played on but not as often. Only pattern i did notice is ppl leaving on working days aprox 10:30-11pm (CET) weekends it tends to be bit longer. On 10.02. It was populated for some reason till 4am.

Edit: Found on reddit that ppl were playing 4 times in a row invasion because you can’t select which map is gonna be voted for but it is totally random.
mti_

Post by mti_ »

Map voting is native functionality of the Squad server now.
https://squad.fandom.com/wiki/Server_Co ... ion#Voting
Wiki says "extremely buggy" but we see it used without issues in an ever growing number of communities.
Maps are chosen from the rotation cfg file.
We can load that up with any layers we feel might work, the game will present those options at random, people get to make the choice.
The server logs what maps are played (and the outcome) and rotates log files properly (presumably daily on restart, cant confirm) so that we can build a solid history of what layers win votes and what layers end up unbalanced a lot (e.g. significant number of wins for Team 1 with over 250 tickets).

We can 100% step up our process on this end rather than just rely on a single individual to try and put something up that hopefully works only to then throw it out in short order.
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

mti_ wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:29 pm Map voting is native functionality of the Squad server now.
https://squad.fandom.com/wiki/Server_Co ... ion#Voting
Wiki says "extremely buggy" but we see it used without issues in an ever growing number of communities.
Maps are chosen from the rotation cfg file.
We can load that up with any layers we feel might work, the game will present those options at random, people get to make the choice.
The server logs what maps are played (and the outcome) and rotates log files properly (presumably daily on restart, cant confirm) so that we can build a solid history of what layers win votes and what layers end up unbalanced a lot (e.g. significant number of wins for Team 1 with over 250 tickets).

We can 100% step up our process on this end rather than just rely on a single individual to try and put something up that hopefully works only to then throw it out in short order.

Nope it's not.

OWI didn't get it working and like most things seem to have abandoned it and you can't use it on a licensed server.
mti_

Post by mti_ »

BearBison wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:47 pm Nope it's not.

OWI didn't get it working and like most things seem to have abandoned it and you can't use it on a licensed server.
How nice of them to keep their official documentation updated.