Windows 98SE Retro Build & Gf daughters Purple PC

This forum provides an area for Drunken, lost or just generally confused subjects.
No talk about PC games.
Rules still apply though.
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Windows 98SE Retro Build & Gf daughters Purple PC

Post by kurgen »

just a quick share, firstly finished my windows 98SE PC,

New old stock Motherboard (syntax)
Duron 800mhz CPU
512mb DDR1 RAM
Soundblaster PCI Card
New old stock Creative Soundblaster speakers
New old stock HP PS2 Keyboard
New old stock HP PS2 Mouse
New old stock PSU with High amps on the 5volt rail
Unbranded Case, made the HP logo on a Vinyl Cutter
15" 4:3 HP Monitor
120gb SSD using juse 30gb via SATA to IDE adaptor

Clearly parts not all era correct.

The PC has a direct LAN connection via fixed IP (no internet access) to a windows 10 PCs 2nd LAN Card. Windows 98 PC has a shared folder where i can just dump files and ISO images accross. ISO images then mounted using daemon tools virtual Drive.

The HP Logo i grabbed of the internet, converted to a vector image and cut out using a vinyl cutter. Its a little big, but the cutter i used isnt designed for doing details this small, any smaller and you cant weed out the letters

Im adding a New old stock CD Writer next (for no reason at all)
and a gigabit LAN Card just make copying a little quicker
ive got a fan resistor on order as the CPU fan is running very loud at 100%

Had an old BitFenix Nova case. The front had badly yellowed, G/f daughters favourite colour is purple, so gave it a couple of primer coats then about 10 coats of plastikote purple.

PC is Skylake, Pentium something or other, cant remember, ive added some RGB lighting inside set to purple, although no pics of this setup at the moment

8gb DDR4 2400
120gb SSD
Nvidia GT210 GPU
Wifi Card

Laeknir

Re: Windows 98SE Retro Build & Gf daughters Purple PC

Post by Laeknir »

I bet that runs Doom so well, and solitaire.
Dougie.C

Post by Dougie.C »

Very cool and one hell of an upgrade for her! She'll be playing squad once you upgrade the gpu next Christmas... :D
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

Really nice! I like the Retro and nice paintjob on her PC! And yes, what Dougie said! ;)
falcon.3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by falcon.3 »

That looks very nice! I can't believe this has become retro ... that's what I grew up with :)

If you have an old keyboard / mouse / case in plastic that has yellowed. Have a look at Retr0bright. It's a chemical formula you can make yourself and will turn those yellowed things back to its original white. You will need some UV led light strip to speed up the process as it requires some sunlight and I have heard there is no sun in the UK.
btodac - free banana

Post by btodac - free banana »

I have to ask: Why build a Win 98 PC?

Otherwise, here is useful tutorial on bleaching plastic with hair bleach: NSFW (langauge)
falcon.3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by falcon.3 »

FYI: bleaching is in effect the same thing as the retrobright, it uses the same active substance. Though hair supplies also contain other chemicals which add a risk of contaminating the plastic which might result in unwanted discolorations or other fiddly effects. Better to use retrobright.
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kurgen »

luckily i dont need to retrobright anything, the case looks fine, that was the only thing thats beige. I'm having some majors issues using an SSD with IDE adaptor, another forum mentioned lack of trim support could have issues, but it generally wasnt happy and over the next few days more and more things just stopped working. Its now running from a compact flash card is much more happy. Now to get Klingon Academy loaded up again.

yes im showing my Age here as well... I am from the Era that started my working life using DOS, then Windows 95 / 98 and every OS Since.. I
Bl4ckP4nth3r

Post by Bl4ckP4nth3r »

Can you get pics of it running Dune 2 fullscreen?
kurgen
Colonel
Colonel

Post by kurgen »

Bl4ckP4nth3r wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:27 pm Can you get pics of it running Dune 2 fullscreen?
I will download it when next powered up ..

meanwhile i drilled a small hole in the case and passed through a single blue led to illuminate the semi translucent panel