Map Rotation

Cpt. Marc Sum

Map Rotation

Post by Cpt. Marc Sum »

A lot of people complain about the maps in rotation. bad layers/disliked maps. why cant there be some kind of system within rip that allows you all to decide what maps are played rather than 1 person...
Thunder

Re: Map Rotation

Post by Thunder »

I am pretty sure the devs are planning on adding a map voting system, it was supposed to be in 2.0 if I am not mistaken
Cpt. Marc Sum

Post by Cpt. Marc Sum »

thats could be a long time though?
bbn

Post by bbn »

3 weeks from now
Trib_UK
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Trib_UK »

bbn wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:08 pm3 weeks from now
quoting for reference when it actually drops in 23 weeks time
Big Spender

Post by Big Spender »

Cpt. Marc Sum wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:30 pm A lot of people complain about the maps in rotation. bad layers/disliked maps. why cant there be some kind of system within rip that allows you all to decide what maps are played rather than 1 person...
We do update the rotation frequently, and the rotation starts from a random point in the list of maps, so you should get a decent mix of maps.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Hi I like the idea, where can I forward map rotation suggestions?
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

Clipper wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:07 pm Hi I like the idea, where can I forward map rotation suggestions?
Rotation Squad Server #1
Cpt. Marc Sum

Post by Cpt. Marc Sum »

isnt it just dogbite who chooses what we play? imagine a world where the players can choose the maps they actually like
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

Cpt. Marc Sum wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:06 pm isnt it just dogbite who chooses what we play? imagine a world where the players can choose the maps they actually like
It is Dogbite who makes it, however any requests/suggestions/criticism gets taken into account but you can't please every one with a single rotation, that's why it gets changed frequently.

Why don't you suggest something you would like more instead of just complaining about it? Just a thought :)
Planetgong
Captain
Captain

Post by Planetgong »

Cpt. Marc Sum wrote:isnt it just dogbite who chooses what we play? imagine a world where the players can choose the maps they actually like
It is an aweful load of work to get a rotation going. You have to choose maps and layers and keep in mind they should not repeat too often. Then you have to sort the maps and layers so the players don't play the same faction two maps in a row. And after all that, you have to try it out and see, if OWI has done everything correct and the rotation is working!
And finally you have to think about the fact, that the one players like these layers and hate others, while other players like and hate quite the opposite. And your aim is to do all these gamers a favour and that they like our server and the gameplay on it. And you want em to know the variety of gamestyles and different maps this game has to offer.

Btw: the ability to vote the next map is just bullshit, as it leads to the same maps and layers over and over again. Just boring af.

As others said: you can't please everyone and it should not be our goal to do so. Play the game with all the maps. If you don't like the current map --> take a pause

Piano_Fights
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Piano_Fights »

Cpt. Marc Sum wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:06 pm isnt it just dogbite who chooses what we play? imagine a world where the players can choose the maps they actually like
He very generously puts in a lot of time to generate a complex rotation that has all the different flavours that the squad community likes. So he doesnt decide what we play, the ensures we ALL get to play what we like.

Be nice now.
Monkey is out of the sleeve!
VoidProxy

Post by VoidProxy »

Piano_Fights wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:50 pm He very generously puts in a lot of time to generate a complex rotation that has all the different flavours that the squad community likes. So he doesnt decide what we play, the ensures we ALL get to play what we like.

Be nice now.
And I'm sure the whole Squad company is very thankful for him doing so!
DogBite
Captain
Captain

Post by DogBite »

The formula of the rotations goes as followed.
  • A non-(R)AAS layer after every 4 (R)AAS layers.
  • Smaller layer(s) after a series of big layers
  • Mixed map environment (Desert, Urban, Woodland etc.)
  • Balanced faction occurrence as much as possible. ( limited options due to the faction choices in (R)AAS layers by OWI)
This formula is there to prevent rotations that lack variety and tries to offer something for everyone. This means you will have to play layers you like and dislike. The size of the rotation list (131 layers) and the random layer at start is there to ensure you not playing the same set of layers every day.

Any feedback is always welcome, the more specific the feedback is the better. If for example, if enough people want TC back in the rotation or even insurgency then i am happy to do it.

Lastly, the layer rotation configs have been bugged since v2's release.
Instead of following the rotation after the random start, it has a life of its own. It follows the rotation for a few maps, then goes haywire. It repeats this all day. This means you could be playing the same faction multiple times or play a set of "less than ideal" layers combinations in a row.
Cpt. Marc Sum

Post by Cpt. Marc Sum »

Just to be clear, im not trying to shit on dogbite for what hes doing. I appreciate the fact there are people who put time and effort into the server but quite simply there are some points in the rotations that are just bad. Theres nothing wrong with having a bit of everything but having back to back bad maps/layers isn't fun.

Also, creating a forum suggesting a voting system is doing something? Its a suggestion more than a complaint
Big Spender

Post by Big Spender »

Cpt. Marc Sum wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:17 pm Just to be clear, im not trying to shit on dogbite for what hes doing. I appreciate the fact there are people who put time and effort into the server but quite simply there are some points in the rotations that are just bad. Theres nothing wrong with having a bit of everything but having back to back bad maps/layers isn't fun.

Also, creating a forum suggesting a voting system is doing something? Its a suggestion more than a complaint
That depends on what you define as "bad". Something you call "bad" might be called "good" by others.
Cpt. Marc Sum

Post by Cpt. Marc Sum »

I'm not talking about what I think is bad so much as multiple people saying they want the map skipped only to be turned away with 'were not allowed to skip maps'.

Another question i have which has also been proposed to me on multiple occasions, what is the point in having a forum if you're just going to shut people down and get all defensive?
DogBite
Captain
Captain

Post by DogBite »

Feedback, complaints, and reports are always welcome, regardless of what the subject is. You might get a hard no but that doesn't mean we shut you down, don't listen, or are not open to other points of view.

As for skipping maps. During seeding we can switch to a seeding/skirmish map or from seeding/skirmish map to a normal map depending on the normal of players on the server. Lastly, we can end layers when they are game-breakingly bugged. Think about repair stations not working, unable to shovel etc.

We don't change maps just because certain players don't like a certain layer. Layers you like are disliked by others and vice versa. Why would we prioritize vocal players asking to skip the map over people who want to play the map?
I have had different individuals for each Al Basrah layer asking me to remove it from the rotation. What I want to say with that is that you will have to skip a lot of layers as there are always people who dislike a layer including layers you might like and want to play.
Where to draw the line and make it fair to all and offer something for everyone? For us its not skipping maps and having a rotation that offers most if not all of the flavors.

Secondly, prior to V2 skipping maps could bug the rotation. This most likely still the case in V2 but with the rotation configs bugged there is no way of accurately testing this. Which is another reason why we don't skip maps on our server.
Arrahant

Post by Arrahant »

I would like to put in my two cents about this subject. I've been playing on the server most nights the past week, and to me it feels as if we got the same Anvil AAS, Gorodok CAF INV 1, Mutaha AAS, Yeho AAS, and then Belaya RAAS, rotation every night. I was pleasantly suprised with the Chora AAS we got last night, but it seems we got the same rotation again after that again (I quit at Gorodok CAF INV 1 last night at around 2230 hrs GMT +2 so I can't know if the same maps came after that). Has anyone had the same experience?

Is it true that the server is supposed to pick a random map after seeding ends?
Trib_UK
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Trib_UK »

Trib_UK wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:16 pm quoting for reference when it actually drops in 23 weeks time
Ironically its 23 weeks and 4 days since this comment and it still hasn't dropped.