New World .

This forum is to discuss any other games that don't have a separate forum
Cyborg
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

New World .

Post by Cyborg »

Is anybody going to be playing New World Beta 2moro ..
Jupiter Brown

Re: New World .

Post by Jupiter Brown »

I literary logged on to the forum to make a post about this!

Don't own it, but I'm keeping a close eye on the closed beta, and maybe will get it if there's good feedback (they're saying combat is quite good) will purchase it.

I'd appreciate it if someone gave feedback about the beta... and maybe send me an invite to the new RIP/New Worlds Discord that is inevitably gonna be to be set up!
GrumpyFox

Post by GrumpyFox »

I've got 4 steam codes (1 already given for friend) as part of New World Creator Program which I'm gonna list down below:
3NAKL-W5J6V-956VC
XLZAA-GAG4H-P633R
J6I32-98RT0-HR5AZ
First come first served
See you in game ;)
CaZ
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by CaZ »

GrumpyFox wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:44 am I've got 4 steam codes (1 already given for friend) as part of New World Creator Program which I'm gonna list down below:
3NAKL-W5J6V-956VC
XLZAA-GAG4H-P633R
J6I32-98RT0-HR5AZ
First come first served
See you in game ;)
Ahh FOX you're a king! I managed to redeem the last one! I'm gonna name my firstborn after you!! :D
Let me know if you wanna play I'm downloading it now!
Planetgong
Captain
Captain

Post by Planetgong »

Yeah. Many thx Fox. What did i just redeem?
We'll see :-)
mark03
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mark03 »

yeah i'll be on cyborg be like the Alpha days haha
Cyborg
Clan Leader
Clan Leader

Post by Cyborg »

new world seems ok, i'm playing this more than any other game i have .. .. ..
GrumpyFox

Post by GrumpyFox »

After playing around 15+ hours I got really mixed feelings after playing dozens of mmos out there...

My feelings and take on few game aspects/mechanics (so everything is subjective and personal opinion):

World exploration:
Whole mechanic of exploration and speed of character + lack of any sprint mechanic / mount system feels like it was made intentional to create feeling of "big world".
Thus after a while it just feels tedious when traveling from quest to quest.
Hope they listen to people and implement some of faster movement mechanics ( seen quite bit chunk of topics about mounts / lack of sprint )
I understand there is teleport mechanic but it's completely useless once out of settlement (yet again as mentioned above probably intentional)

Quests:
Gonna be real, boring fedex quests so far till level 17 that I have obtained. I spent more time traveling back and forward between quest givers than finishing quests itself
PvP quests are nice change of pace but gets boring and could be turned into PvE faction quests since they don't involve any PvP (more like, go investigate, gather this that). Killing players give more rewards than these quests do at least it feels that way for me.
Campaign quests? I've seen them at start then started doing side quests and never came back again at least for now....

Group play:
Wanted to start from level 1 with your friends? Well... devs had different idea, me and my friend got sent to different starting point and then to different outposts (campaign quests seems to have different npc turn in point too). Bad design there for me.
The closest to any group play so far I've had been so called "PvP quests" as people try to group to avoid dying and failing them all at once.
Probably could go to different outpost and check if me and friend have same quests but doubt it looking at where my side quests are sending me and amount of quests available (could be wrong, checking so many things at same time)

Combat:
My biggest dissapointment so far.
I remember that a lot of developers are from Guild Wars 2 production and thought that combat would be more dynamic than this....
A lot of skills are very unresponsive (clicking multiple times for them to activate) or very sluggish/slow or even they just lock you in animation, very opposite of dynamic gameplay. Point and click target systems are more enjoyable than this.
Dodging seems to be weird, it either works or it doesn't most of the time it feels like it's just too short and certain dodging skills are useless.
I'll give rapier as example that I've been using: You got normal dodge then you got additional skill dodge. On paper it feels great but when you constantly get damaged when you dodge to sides and it only works when you dodge backwards (it's extremely short ranged high cooldown) you start to think that something isn't' exactly right.
Did I mention it's only 3 skills per weapon set you can set and then passives only?
Pretty "basic" I feel like mobile games these days have more variety.
Why I say basic? Well late/end game builds are going to be very boring since they're going to be exactly the same as starting ones (main differences on weapon sigils from what I've noticed)
Small update (remembered just now):
Apparently there is stagger in PvE when you get hit by monsters and one doesn't exist in PvP, weird very weird

Weapon balance:
It already feels like there are metas and certain weapons are made for group play and others for solo play. Main problem with this is that some of weapons scale from certain stats so if you specialize for example in full dex build then you are locked in single melee weapon:
Rapier and that's it. Rapier is slight dissapointment for me, feels slow and animations are very long a lot of bow animations are very clunky and unresponsive or lock you in place (splint arrow was perfect now its just meh)
We do get that distance combat tho which has biggest use in group fights. Tradeoffs I guess
Now if we would go into strength builds we got way better and more interesting weapons to choose from:
Sword/Shield - Great PvP and PvE, lunges, blocks, dashes and stuns. I enjoy it but not my gamestyle. It also feels faster than rapier
Hatchet - ever seen one angry viking running without shield? Yea basically you turn into that guy. Fun/fast hitting build that can also have ranged combat included (just misses shield usage or 2nd hatchet, feels weird to have free left arm with shield on your back)
Hatchet has 1.5% scaling per STR point and 1% per DEX point which might seem like viable choice for DEX build but will be waaay stronger later with STR build -150 points in STR gives 225% scaling vs 150% from dex which is 75% difference. Huge isnt it? Wouldn't bother making myself weak and not get max gains which matters in PvP
Hammer - Haven't tried but feels like CC monster AoE for group fights
2H Axe - Same as above didn't try so can't say yet.
Comparing these 2 build types I see that STR ones have more CC and are more PvP oriented while DEX one melee weapon is in weird position or being DoT/Crit build possible with high skill ceiling but feels like it is very lacking compared to other melee weapons (1.5 sec stun with 20 cd and gap closer that should fly forward for 10m but jumps for around like 2-3?)
Not saying it's horrible. I enjoy my bow instead. Rapier feels very mediocore and clunky combat system doesn't help it.
I might just go trapper musket or AoE Bowman with poison/bleed/slow effect as they seem interesting builds with self speed buffs (at least bow have them) to keep yourself at distance.
Hope they add more dex melee weaponry like 1x/2x Shortsword or Shortsword/Dagger combo or even maybe 2 Daggers, anything else than Rapier itself or it's ranged combat for me hiding behind my buddies :-)

Sound:
Pretty surprised, seems very nice. Good positioning an directional, music is also very nice. Can't say anything bad and don't want to.

Crafting:
Very Guild Wars 2 like which is good, nothing bad there. Highly enjoyable
Small update (remembered just now):
The only thing I would change would be salvaging. It should allways give back some resources. Right now it's better not to pick up items or sell them on market rather than have chance of getting some resources back

PvP and you:
Wanna do 1 vs X? Forget it, due to combat system if 2 people have enough "smarts" you won't win unless you outgear them. Most people use muskets, you will get spam shoted before you get close/run away
Game is build around group PvP you can see that from start.
Ganking people will be very minor unless it's people that bully lower geared people

Trade Market
Another tedious and surprisingly bad design...
Each city/outpost is not connected to each other meaning if you want to buy certain items/weapons YOU HAVE TO go to other town or teleport to it. This means you are vulnerable to loosing chance in BUYING good item.
You can teleport your storage items between cities but there's a catch YOU HAVE TO BE IN FACTION CONTROLLED ZONES (Adjected zones have to be connected to each other).
Transporting large quantities items to your main city later on in high level locations where you will reside most likely 90% of time will be pain and another huge time sink
Hope market is connected world wide even if it means additional fee that I have to pay to obtain items
Crazy old games have better market system than this one....

Overall feelings for now at least:
I feel like If I turn myself into Crafter/Gatherer/Trader I will enjoy myself more in this game than trying to do any combat.
Game feels weird for a game that is around month from full fledged release. There won't be any major changes 100% to any of systems just few slight tweaks.
I also don't understand how this game has anything of "survival" inside it. Might be just me ;-)
You can completely avoid PvP if you want to for now and just never care about it.
You can also do a lot of different activities but nothing new or ground breaking. Game feels like solid 6/7 out of 10 depending how I would treat combat system. It also gives heavy feeling of monetization inside shop which gives me bad vibes( Imo it might be okay due to GW2 devs if it stays on skins and xp boosters that get introduced waaaay later ).
Overall it might not be bad game, maybe even decent one just slightly overhyped like cyberpunk 2077 was (kidding that one was WAAAAAAAAY too overhyped) Feels lackluster for AAA in terms of money studio (they did scratch their 2 games before which feels weird)
On the other hand, theres plenty more other MMO's that offer the same if not more with better systems (Yes yes, they got polished after release, but how many years will it take here?) Few that I think are better and richer in content in my eyes:
1. GW2 - Great combat system, story, PvP activities (WoWoW - world vs world vs world which feels like fort combat in NW just split on 3 factions instead), skill system
2. ESO - More polished version of NW in my eyes. Both have wooden combat but ESO feels more dynamic with more "whoompf"
3. ArcheAge - It might be P2W to this day but is one of most rich content games ever created. Great PvP (lot of different activities), Good target system combat system, very dynamic PvP/PvE. Quests meh (it's KR game they never cared about these too much)
2 first ones would be my recommendation to go play after CBT of NW and compare before buying the game

That's it from me for now, still got like 10 days of access to test and maybe change my mixed mind about the game

What are your thoughts? Would love to see other people point of view.
Last edited by GrumpyFox on Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jupiter Brown

Post by Jupiter Brown »

I agree with all your points.

I've bound the auto-run to my mouse button, and that makes travelling a little easier. The other thing I'd say about combat is that I'm sorely missing a target lock (is there one?).

I quite like it though - I've been vibing with it. It won't be my 'main', but I definitely would be up for finding a group of people to play with and maybe having a weekly night to play it.
Jupiter Brown

Post by Jupiter Brown »

Out of interest, is there a RIP Discord for this game/MMOs, or would it be worth setting one up? As I'll be playing on release.
Zodika
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Zodika »

Could ask Bear to add a channel under "Other Games" on discord for this game :D
Planetgong
Captain
Captain

Post by Planetgong »

Zodika wrote:Could ask Bear to add a channel under "Other Games" on discord for this game :D
Oh no! Why? Noone uses those extra channels.
Zodika
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Zodika »

why do we have mount and blade 2 there then? :D
Planetgong
Captain
Captain

Post by Planetgong »

Zodika wrote:why do we have mount and blade 2 there then? :D
Thx for bringing forward proof to my point.Image
Stix

Post by Stix »

GrumpyFox wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:32 am After playing around 15+ hours I got really mixed feelings after playing dozens of mmos out there...

My feelings and take on few game aspects/mechanics (so everything is subjective and personal opinion):

Thank you for writing that down, was waiting for a good write up of someones experience. I'll probably wait for a few weeks after release before deciding if I want to play or not.
Wilhem
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Post by Wilhem »

Stix wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:48 pm Thank you for writing that down, was waiting for a good write up of someones experience. I'll probably wait for a few weeks after release before deciding if I want to play or not.

Mack sums it very nice.
★PL Gunner's Gladiators★SRO★
GrumpyFox

Post by GrumpyFox »

Stix wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Thank you for writing that down, was waiting for a good write up of someones experience. I'll probably wait for a few weeks after release before deciding if I want to play or not.
Wilhem wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:41 pm

Mack sums it very nice.

Yup pretty much he says what I've did and the more I play the more dissapointed I get. I want to give this game a passing grade but the further you go the worse it gets.

What is even worse what he didn't mention ARE:

Monsters.... (you can explain zones in same way because you will get constantly Deja Vu feeling)
God, how lazy as developer you have to be to reuse 100% of assets with just different names most of the time? There is goddamn no variety on monsters at all.

Black Desert online at launch had Unique monsters to EVERY ZONE, never you went to different area and seen another "donkey" but named differently and with higher level. Every zone in that game has unique monsters towards it and VERY VERY rarely it happens so that same monster is reused. Here it's on daily basis.

Not sure what developers were doing HERE but having same monsters even in first expedition on lv25? Bruh, dissapointed thought there might be some new stuff, nope. Same ghosts, same zombies, same jumpy boys just different names and levels.
How much can you fight same stuff in 5 zones for example just differently named, few examples:
Wolf, Ebony Wolf, Hill Wolf, Cave Wolf, these names could go on forever, model doesn't change.
Even seen few monsters that are supposed to be something that they aren't.... Seen Lion that looks exactly like Cougar do just had lion colors.

I'm still playing it in hope for something to be different or find something new?
So far all loops are same: Go there - > pick that / kill that - > repeat. Simple fedex quests in every outpost with no depth at all. Faction quests are so generic that you almost exactly go to the same places the moment you pick next 3....

You could also disregard every of these issues and pressing time thats on them (33-34 days till release) and still buy it.
In my eyes 40$ for this is a STEAL and plain robbery. Just buy yourself Guild Wars 2/ESO/BDO and enjoy your money well spent.

Game tries to be "Jack of All Trades" but is master of none and it's bad thing about it. Nothing, literally nothing stands out.
At start it feels cool, amazing but the more time you sink the clearer the pattern gets and before you get to that point your 2 hour refund will be over already trust me, game is so slow paced and it's clearly intentional.
This game basically took it's ideas from plenty of different games, slapped it all together and lost sight of what it should be.

Right now the best score I would give this game would be 4-5/10 at BEST, at this moment this feels like this game was intented to be mobile game but someone changed his idea and released it on PC. Who am I kidding, mobile games offer more these days

Update 1:

Oh look what I found about PvP scaling ;)

Lv17 having a chance to fight against X levels higher player than him and hitting for more way more than higher level player does.
If this doesn't put anyone away from PvP and any incentive to progress to PvP then I don't know what more will :angry-tappingfoot:
Zodika
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Zodika »

There is a Discord channel for this now as well, look under the #Roles channel to get access to it ;)
Jupiter Brown

Post by Jupiter Brown »

Oooo, I'm joining.

Now that it's been delayed again, it'll be quiet, but I'll start looking whose interested once it releases.