Post Scriptum FPS

Taffy Coops

Post Scriptum FPS

Post by Taffy Coops »

Hi everyone and firstly let me say it has been fun and good meeting some of you during the online matches and battles.

Secondly a question of FPS. As an architect in my real life time role I have quite a good graphics workstation with some heavy GPU and CPU power so while running benchmark settings in PS it sets me to very high / ultimate on pretty much everything apart from cinematic which when I alter / press / select and use my pc and game setting gives me around 35-45 FPS while wandering around the beautiful countryside and cityscapes. Tidy!

But then during high battle action on a full server this can drop dramatically with explosions etc etc down to around 21 FPS which I can understand as the pc is working overtime ( smoke and fire) and then sometimes down to 18 FPS which still kinda plays ok-ish.

Sooooo??? What are you lot at RIP using as your settings? What should my FPS realistically be at to have the best gaming experience (am I getting killed more for lack of FPS?) and is the myth that I should have everything down on low to have a better kill rate and see through some hedge rows which quite frankly would then seem to then turn PS into a shooter (gawd forbid) as I like tactics and realism rather than a crazy ‘killfest’.

Suggestions and comments very welcome from everyone. Cheers. Taffy C.
Zodika
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Post Scriptum FPS

Post by Zodika »

With every update that comes out to PS, always remember to clear the cache of the game manually, the ingame one is still borked <.<

To clear the cache manually navigate to this path: C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\Appdata\Local

In there delete the folder called Post Scriptum.
This will wipe EVERY setting in the game, but also clear out a lot of bugs from old updates.

Try setting the settings to what you had before and see how the game runs, depending on your setup it should run better.

If it still runs a bit bad, try lowering the settings to HIGH on everything, i run with the settings in the below image, and get around 60-90 FPS depending on the map, and the scenario:

We do have players in the Platoon that run with everything on Epic and Cinematic effects, and are getting above 100 FPS but it really depends on your setup :P

PS is sadly known to not be optimized very good, they are doing what they can to fix some of the issue with it, and have come a long way, and hopefully it will get even better in the near future ;)
Last edited by Zodika on Wed May 06, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taffy Coops

Post by Taffy Coops »

Thanks Zodika that is very helpful and I'll take a look at my settings and try a few options. Much appreciate your screen shot which again I'll test out on my pc. I think this will be useful for many PS gamers. Cheers. Taffy C.
Gunshell

Post by Gunshell »

Yeah I run epic settings, I would definitely recommend using epic as normally cinematic settings in games like ps are reserved for when you want to make a video and not necessarily have 80 tracer rounds flying through the air and smoke artillery etc. But like zodika said the game was kind of at a point before chapter 3 where it was stable and since the update, especially on the new maps the game can be a bit sensitive, hopefully they will get it back to where it was soon and everyone’s FPS will level out but until then definitely clear the cache and if that doesn’t work just use epic, I’d say you won’t notice much difference.
Taffy Coops

Post by Taffy Coops »

Thanks again Gunshell much appreciate your advice. I made some tweaks yesterday and clearing the cache has definitely made a difference. I'm now getting in game FPS at around 50 - 55 FPS and still have the graphics up almost to maximum. I will drop from cinematic and see if I can squeeze some more frames. Cheers. Taffy C.
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

Hey Taffy,you need to post your specs really so we can see what power your system has and also what resolution you are playing at?
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

We've discussed this a lot and I still can't get my head round it.

My graphics card is circa 5 years old (OC 980GTX) and I run everything on epic.
I only struggle on one map and that's Oosterbeek where I get 15fps.
Everything else I get between 60 and 120fps.

:think:
Taffy Coops

Post by Taffy Coops »

Hi everyone I appreciate your efforts to help out and it is all interesting info I have taken on board that's for sure. For some reason I couldn't upload a screen shot here but my machine spec as Smoky mentioned..

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Xeon @ 4.00GHz x 4
Skylake-E/EP 14nm Technology
RAM
64.0GB
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0X8DXD (CPU0)
Graphics
U28E590 Samsung (3840x2160@60Hz)
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Storage
931GB NVMe CT1000P1SSD8 (RAID (SSD))
476GB NVMe PM981 NVMe Samsu (RAID (SSD))
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GHB0N
Audio
Realtek Audio 3D

Post Scriptum Settings are all Epic, screen 3840x2160. Anti aliasing at FXA, Super Sampling Off, Everything checked except eye adaption, V-Sync, screen reflection and Motion blur.

This is giving me an in game FPS of around 45 - 55 depending on situation.
Rusakko

Post by Rusakko »

Quadro P5000 is optimized to OpenGL graphics (what CAD softwares use more commonly) and not so much for DirectX so that's one possible reason for "low" FPS even with high-end computing power...

Here's a random review with some FPS gaming test results on P5000 with 4K resolution.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-Qu ... 073.0.html

Note that GTX 980 Ti is often a bit ahead the P5000 so this fits with what Hollis is mentioning in here (altho I don't know if Hollis FPS are on 4K or not).
Taffy Coops

Post by Taffy Coops »

Thanks Rusakko much appreciate you sending the link through and chatting through it all. I'm still getting a great gaming experience all in all it's just I like to try and push it to the max and to make sure I'm getting the best out of everything. Onwards and upwards! Cheers. Taffy C.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Mines 1920x1080 mate, whatever that means :oops:
ramsyzool

Post by ramsyzool »

Definitely try turning the resolution down. 4k gaming is reserved for higher-end rigs really. Change to 1920x1080 and you should get a big boost in FPS :)
Rusakko

Post by Rusakko »

Hollis wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:33 pm Mines 1920x1080 mate, whatever that means :oops:
Disqualification! :P :P
1080p, "full HD" from TVs and 2K are the terms used on this common resolution, Steam survey says 63.83% has this resolution in responders main displays
https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey ... e-to-Steam
Gunshell

Post by Gunshell »

Yeah i must say if your graphics card does perform below a 980 its got to be the resolution, do you have a HD or 2k monitor handy to test?
I can tell you now for a fact when i first upgraded i couldnt wait to try 4k gaming after gaming at HD for years, it more than halved my FPS so i returned the 4k monitor the next day! Ordered a 2K monitor a few months later and my fps can be through the roof on some games, around 80-110 on PS depending on map - pre chapter 3 of course... a little lower now im sure but not enough for me to notice.
Taffy Coops

Post by Taffy Coops »

Ha ha lots of things to think about Gunshell, Hollis and Rusakko and I'm hoping this thread will help PS players in the future.

Much appreciate all your input guys and I've learned quite a lot for the PS setup and my FPS is up! I can get it to over 120 FPS on 1920 x 1080 but the wide angled crisp visuals / colours I get at 3840 x 2160 are great so I'm going to stick with that or something close.

I'm now at around 60 FPS sometimes higher which apparently in a lot of gaming circles is what one should be gunning for. When they optimise the maps a little more things should be even better. Now I just need to get better in game! And as a radioman. :)

Cheers, Taffy C.