Hosting Special 1-Life Operation Games within RIP?

Xandroz

Hosting Special 1-Life Operation Games within RIP?

Post by Xandroz »

You might have heard about SquadOps. The american clan who hosts closed special 1-life games within Squad and other tactical shooters. If you haven't heard about the 1-life event phenomena. You could check it out at their youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/SquadOps/about

Heres a clip from a casual players perspective from one of their events:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYPxlKXKuUw

I can tell they all having a blast
I've tried to join, but its a long process because of its great popularity. To get in you have to sign up on their website, schedule a training, pass the training, getting approved, singing up for matches, getting in, and so on... Also their servers are based in the US. Which brings a ping factor for the european players. Along with matches starting 02:30 CET.

My thought about this is: What if interested players from RIP could host a similar 1-life event?
It might be alot to organize. But i think it could be manageable, since we are quite a large and well known clan.
Maybe try it out within our ranks first and see where it goes. And if we get a good grip of it, then maybe open the events for the public?

There are some upside and downsides with this idea:

:thumbup: Lots of fun with 1-life events
:thumbup: A good "teamplay-staying-alive" workout
:thumbup: RIP could be the first European Clan in Squad hosting special one-life event.
:thumbup: Raising clan popularity and reputation

:thumbdown: Increased administration work
:thumbdown: Lots of time needed for everything to work smoothly
:thumbdown: Having to work out a necessary script/addon for the server?

Me personaly would be interested in creating/hosting an 1life-event within RIP.
But i couldn't possibly do it alone.

So what do you guys think about this idea?
UnholyMuffin
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Re: Hosting Special 1-Life Operation Games within RIP?

Post by UnholyMuffin »

I like one-life events. But there is also a lot of players that do not enjoy them. My thoughts on it:

- I have taken part in several of those events so far, 2 times me and a fire team were the first line of defense, and as such we were facing two entire squads. Needless to say, we got raped within the first 10 minutes. And the rest of the game you watch though a stream. It was fun, but it isn't for everyone.

RIP has already hostet such a one life event. As far as i remember it was quite fun :D

Other clans like BloodBound do it on regular basis, i think the last one was in June. So we would not be the first ones. But i'm sure there is enough people to fill a server.

There is a lot of work to do, not just the planning of structure, scenario with back story etc. but also working toghether with other clans to meet the numbers and have enough experienced players to make it fun for pubs too.

!!! Every squad needs a designated squad leader. They need to know and plan the match in advance. Otherwise it's gonna be unorganized chaos. If the squads are not lead properly they will just get gunned down and match is over in 10 minutes. So squadleaders should either be RIP, or people should have the possibility to sign up as squad leader and come to ts for a briefing and planing phase.

All in all I think it would be nice to have another one of these events. We just need to plan them accordingly.
★SR. Recruitment Officer★
Serra

Post by Serra »

I would be down
Lexhy

Post by Lexhy »

Could there be a corner of the map where dead players can spawn and do some CQB games or similar? Just so you have something to do if you die, apart from just sitting idle in TS
Xandroz

Post by Xandroz »

UnholyMuffin wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:47 pm - I have taken part in several of those events so far, 2 times me and a fire team were the first line of defense, and as such we were facing two entire squads. Needless to say, we got raped within the first 10 minutes. And the rest of the game you watch though a stream. It was fun, but it isn't for everyone.
It isn't for everyone, thats true. But instead of doing say like 2 rounds. We could do more rounds/scenarios in a day so everyone gets more chances of playing.
Lexhy wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:46 am Could there be a corner of the map where dead players can spawn and do some CQB games or similar? Just so you have something to do if you die, apart from just sitting idle in TS
That would defeat the purpose of the 1-life event. It's like a simulation of a real war.
Lexhy

Post by Lexhy »

Yeah, I'll pass
Dackis

Post by Dackis »

SquadOps are professionals when it comes to this format so I'd really recommend anyone interested in this to play some of their events first, there's often plenty of open slots so getting in shouldn't be hard if you sign up in time. Their basic training (SOTT Basic) is very well laid out and informative so it's a good place to learn useful infantry tactics. It's not hard to sign up really, just sign up for Basic when it's available on their calendar and after that you can sign up for all of their events. They regularly have events on European times as well (20:30 CEST). The ping factor is pretty much negligible in Squad, I wouldn't play on a Chinese or Australian server with 300+ ping but you won't notice the difference between NA (especially East Coast) (150 ping) and EU (50 ping) in-game, Squad is a pretty slow game by most standards, it's not a twitch shooter so ping isn't that impactful. Making successful 1-life events of our own is a big undertaking so whoever wants to do that should have lots of experience in playing 1-life events in the past and be prepared to spend a lot time with it to make it work. And also that requires plenty of experienced squad leaders that need to be very skilled in this specific format (it's a whole different ball game when you can't respawn so it's really not the same as playing regular Squad matches so you need to think and act realistically and use proper infantry tactics).