Cold War Germany DLC

BabylonCome

Re: Cold War Germany DLC

Post by BabylonCome »

It is in essence just a paid for mod, but being a DLC means it's officially supported by BIS and 100% compatible and everything works including correct vehicle physics. So we get 60Gb of quality additional content which is fully supported by the publishing house for under £20... Sounds like a really good deal to me..
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Randy Andy wrote:So what that means, is we would have still had to pay for it eventually

Nope, would have been free.
But BIS are starting to kill off free with the creator option as a few mod houses are moving to paid for DLC.

In terms of compatibility, makes no difference if you use mods by good modders. Bit like missions, if done correctly only time they will break is if BIS change names like they did initially.

Still prefer CUP as more things to play with that are fully compatible with all features.
Snailer

Post by Snailer »

BabylonCome wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:11 pm It is in essence just a paid for mod, but being a DLC means it's officially supported by BIS and 100% compatible and everything works including correct vehicle physics. So we get 60Gb of quality additional content which is fully supported by the publishing house for under £20... Sounds like a really good deal to me..

100% with you on this.
And it's so much more respectful of the modders' work I think, boy that's a hard thing to do.
I'm more than happy to pay for it and I'm looking forward to seeing improvements in the modding hemisphere due to the payment option.
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Also be aware, it looks like to play this you will need a seperate server as it cannot be played on a Vanilla server as it is a MOD. Those without the MOD will not be able to join the server even if it's not being used.

https://arma3.com/dlc/creator#FAQ
BabylonCome

Post by BabylonCome »

Do server admins need to own Creator DLC if they want to host a dedicated server that makes use of their premium content?
No, the free stand-alone Arma 3 Server tool app with a shrunk dataset will be available to server admins whether they own a particular Creator DLC or not (this may involve using Steam branches for that app).
Do I need to own Creator DLC if it's used by the multiplayer server I want to join?
You need to own Creator DLC and have it installed to be able to join a multiplayer server that makes use of it. If you try to join a server without having the requested Creator DLC installed, you will receive a notification that you are missing content that is needed to play on the server. For more information please also see the previous question regarding the optional installation of Creator DLC.
This is the same as APEX.

So that FAQ states you will need the DLC to join a server running it, the same as APEX and a free shrunk dataset version will be available for vanilla servers... :think:
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Nope, not the same as normal DLCs, the key section is that it is a diferent STEAM branch.
This is due to the way that signature verifcation works, if you don't have the MOD you can't play. Unless they find a way around it but unlikely.

More information can be found in https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic ... nt-3351249 and also in the discord https://discordapp.com/channels/1054622 ... 9959777281
Randy Andy

Post by Randy Andy »

so this is not dlc then? its a mod?
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Randy Andy wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:40 am so this is not dlc then? its a mod?

Neither it's CDLC :D
A-a-ron

Post by A-a-ron »

End of the day if someone doesn't have it when we using it they can't join similar to Apex DLC. We have a mod server so we can always use that with this content.
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Can't use the mod server as it's a different branch, will have to be a separate server completely and currently the devs have said that for each CDLC it will need a separate branch so a separate server for each one.
BabylonCome

Post by BabylonCome »

We all talked about this last night and 100% agree we want this CDLC and we are happy to lose the vanilla server to get it as we will not require a plain vanilla server for some time after the release of this CDLC. So what needs to happen so that we can have this extra content ready for testing missions?
Randy Andy

Post by Randy Andy »

it entirely depends on what the creator DLC is doing.

Some of them add what GM is doing - map & assets

but they are hinting some of the CDLC, will be changing the base game attributes (lets say similar to ACE) which will require its own server completely - and IMO we should avoid. This way we can still play our arma vanilla stuff, alongside the GM CDLC, with little issues.
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

BabylonCome wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:26 pm We all talked about this last night and 100% agree we want this CDLC and we are happy to lose the vanilla server to get it as we will not require a plain vanilla server for some time after the release of this CDLC. So what needs to happen so that we can have this extra content ready for testing missions?

The testing will have to be done locally or on the live server as it is a complete different install as it's a branch. We don't have the capacity for 2 new servers.

Randy Andy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:18 pm it entirely depends on what the creator DLC is doing.
This way we can still play our arma vanilla stuff, alongside the GM CDLC, with little issues.

Nope, at the moment the Devs have said makes no difference, each CDLC will need it's own server and if players don't have the CDLC then they will NOT be able to join the server even if playing vanilla missions.
BabylonCome

Post by BabylonCome »

If anything, the MOD server should be converted to this CDLC as the MOD server has never and probably will never be used. This way we can switch between CDLC and vanilla on different weekends.
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

BabylonCome wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:26 pm If anything, the MOD server should be converted to this CDLC as the MOD server has never and probably will never be used. This way we can switch between CDLC and vanilla on different weekends.

It was removed a long time ago since it was never used, such a pity as plenty of great mods and I have to go elsewhere to play since others here don't play modded.
Randy Andy

Post by Randy Andy »

Respectfully, we haven't seen you on our server since Exile, which is a shame. Fancy joining us for a few games on GM?
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

As much as I want the CDLC and I have all DLC for all ArmA games, I'm not sure that I am even going to buy any CDLC.
For the simple reason that their is no guarantee that it will be updated if BI change anything that breaks the CDLC (confirmed by BI and the GM Mod team as not part of the contract, but in the CDLC devs interest), that is entirely up to the CDLC devs to do if they are still working on the content and then get them through the BI QA process.
This shouldn't happen as BI have stated that there shouldn't be any more 'platform change' updates but you never know.
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

JahManRed wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:21 pm Ive been following this thread since the start and I still cant make sense of it or what the issue is to even make comment.
Frankly, its ridiculous.

Put as simply as I can:

It looks great, however....
  • It's not DLC like we know it - more like Skyrim Purchasable Modifications or Creation Club.
  • It needs a seperate server install to play, currently stated if players don't have it they can't join the server even if CDLC content is not getting used. They are looking at possible options here but stated won't be at release and will probably require a change in how BattleEye works for anti-cheat using signatures of each file.
  • A paid for mod with no guarantee that if BIS break it with a game update it will get updated to work.
BlueDragon

Post by BlueDragon »

so, why cant we try it out for a month or two instead of vanilla and we will see?
as i understood this thread and most of the active players, everyone wants to try it even if it means scarifying vanilla
BearBison
Clan Founder
Clan Founder

Post by BearBison »

Who has said anything about not trying it?

But it will be at the expense of the vanilla server.