space station 13, anyone?

This forum is to discuss any other games that don't have a separate forum
JamalJackson

space station 13, anyone?

Post by JamalJackson »

has any of you ever heard of it? anyone playing, or willing?

do some research on it, its amazing (as much as it is bad) and also hilarious..

and its got a huge learning curve, like, dwarf fortress cant even touch it.

but once you get the hang of some basics, and over the clunkyness, its really something unique,
sadly not for everybody :(
Beanbag Ninja

Re: space station 13, anyone?

Post by Beanbag Ninja »

I played it for about 2 minutes, and never touched it again.

I don't know if the server was using the standard move speed or not, but I just couldn't cope with how quickly players moved around - it seemed like there were clowns and robots flying all over the screen, I never got close to another player long enough to type anything to them, and I didn't see any fun in aimlessly zooming around a 2D grey map :thumbdown:

EDIT: I just watched someone play a round of Space Station 13 - It took 1 hour 48 minutes, and honestly looked pretty fun... Not sure if I can get past the clunky gameplay though... I might be up for it some time if others are interested too.
Beanbag Ninja

Post by Beanbag Ninja »

OK, so I actually played a game of SS13 last night, and it was extremely confusing, but also fun in a strange way.

I started as a lowly Assistant. Not having any idea how to do anything, I spent a few minutes running around, picking things up and putting them down. I also found the fart button, which was most amusing.

In my travels, I bumped into the station's Captain, who had clearly been drinking.

"Hello Captain"
"Ehhh, hulleeew Jemes" (My name was James in the game) "yuu look-a leke a fine hard-werkung man, du yoo went a jurb?"

And so I was promoted to Captain's Bodyguard, and was issued with the required helmet, gas mask, body armour and stun gun, and given my first paycheck.

"Yu must-a watch my beck, Jermes! I'm coonting on yu!"
"Yes Sir!"

The Captain then drunkenly staggered around the station, performing his various duties, while I followed, watching his back. I defended our tipsy captain against an aggressive saxophone-playing clown, but I messed up when the Head of Security decided to try to apprehend me for carrying "contraband" (my stun gun).

As the Captain slurred that I was in fact his bodyguard, the HoS advanced toward me, and I immediately reacted by stunning him. Well this didn't go down too well, and when the HoS recovered, I was arrested and dragged to the brig.

Luckily, the Captain persuaded Security to release me and re-issue me with a gun, and I continued my assignment.

Eventually, the singularity engine lost containment, and a black hole threatened to destroy the station. The situation deteriorated as hull breaches and chemical spills spread throughout the station, and the Captain turned to me, and slurred:

"Well, Jermes, you are-a prermooted - you're in cummand now, Congrashulayshuns! Bork bork bork." He handed me his ID card, clothes, hat and armour.
"No Captain! I don't know how to run a space station"
"Don't a-worry, Jermes! Neither doo I!"

And with that, the ex-Captain scurried away to the bar to have a final drink and go down with his station, as the Emergency Shuttle arrived, and the rest of us evacuated, leaving me thoroughly confused.

So yes, I'd be up for trying this game with a group some time! :thumbup:
JamalJackson

Post by JamalJackson »

oh my jesus, dude, you have no idea! it only gets better from here on out. on your first try you were probably running, or something was happening and everyone else was running, but theres a walk mode too. it has soo much freakin depth to it, it just blows my mind every round, insane how much shit you can do. i usually played as a chemist but always wound up making drugs and getting myself (and/or others high, injecting them with experimental substances and forcing fatal amounts of pills down their throats)

there are a bunch of different server, each running their own custom code, some are strictly roleplay, but those people usually take it way too serious and it just ends up being boring, then there are the "no rules" servers where youll just end up getting griefed by a possessed preacher and whatnot, and the best of the bunch seem to be a mixture of both.

try playing a few rounds as a janitor, learn how to clean the floors and change light bulbs n stuff like that, make sure you at least put some wet floor signs around the are otherwise people will start getting mad for slipping on the tiles you just cleaned...its hilarious. besides, even playing as a janitor seems to require a fkn degree from NASA uni., but since its a mostly useless job, you can learn some basics that way. be wary of clowns! actually, janitor is not that useless because once shit hits the fan and theres blood everywhere, people start panicking and acting crazy/griefing. so keep the station clean and even if its going down and it doesnt look morbid, people will usually behave more. also, always keep a wiki page open that you can alt - tab to, it helps. each server probably has their own, but if you google around a bit it shouldnt be hard to find a guide to anything.

if we could get a group and start playing together, that would be awesome, though i cant think of a way to convince anyone to look past the initial difficulty, lag, ancient graphics and godawful interface and see everything that lies beneath the surface.
every dev who attempted to make a remake was doomed to fail, and there were like 15 remakes!

i should reinstall byond too...
Beanbag Ninja

Post by Beanbag Ninja »

I might just try that then - Janitor it is!

I'm going to attempt to play on Paradise Station - they are a "medium roleplay" group, which sounds perfect for me.

I'll report back :)
Beanbag Ninja

Post by Beanbag Ninja »

Well that was exhausting. I think I need a break from mopping floors now!
Blackmail

Post by Blackmail »

what is this heresy? Gonna check it out now
JamalJackson

Post by JamalJackson »

well, what did ya find? let us know, spread the word if you dig it. not a game for everybody though
Blackmail

Post by Blackmail »

I was looking at it through youtube and tried my hands on the paradise server. Being overwhelmed is quite the understatement.

I need some help or I won`t survive :S
Anders

Post by Anders »

Game sounds fun, I will check it out
JamalJackson

Post by JamalJackson »

guys, pm me your steam names - or contact me somehow, so we can try and play together someday.
Blackmail

Post by Blackmail »

Mate,you can just check the roster and use the Steam ID from there :D But I will add you tonight if possible
JamalJackson

Post by JamalJackson »

wow, now i feel stupid :))) but thanks for enlightening me. i doubt youll find me there, im still a recruit.

for those too lazy to look it up themselves, check this out: