Gaming monitors

This forum provides an area for Drunken, lost or just generally confused subjects.
No talk about PC games.
Rules still apply though.
Frank Machin
Private
Private

Gaming monitors

Post by Frank Machin »

i just realised how poor my monitor is.
9yr old Samsung 24 inch with max 60hz.

What monitor do you guys use and any recommendations. plz?
UnholyMuffin
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2

Re: Gaming monitors

Post by UnholyMuffin »

Well, there's a lot of factors to take into your equation. What is your budget? Is your hardware able to handle stuff like 4k/ultrawide? If you want to go bang for the buck, I'd say something from AOC maybe? Low price for decent quality. for example the AOC Q27G2U/BK (27", 2560 x 1440 Pixels) is a nice 144hz monitor around 280 bucks.
For older hardware and casual gaming, a lower resolution will do aswell.
If you want to spend a bit more and your hardware can deal with it, go for it. I got a nice deal on a LG 32GK850G-B (32", 2560 x 1440 Pixels) also 144hz and am quite happy with it. Was around 400 bucks.

I'm not really experienced in this stuff, it took me about 2 months to decide on what i should go for. There are some useful YouTube videos about this question.
★ Recruitment Officer★
Plan B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Plan B »

Monitor market is tough since not all of them are available everywhere. I can give some pointers though.

The golden grail is a 1440p 144Hz IPS or TN panel. However I can't recommend a 1440p monitor without knowing what your setup is due to it being very demanding.
So blindly my recommendation would be some 1080p 120/144Hz. I've seen lots of affordable options from AOC that a lot of other people also recommend.

There is also the whole IPS vs TN panel debate, TN having a better response time than IPS (goes down massively with refresh rate so most people don't care about it at 144Hz). IPS has better colors as a general rule and better viewing angles. The choice doesn't matter too much in this regard but I personally prefer TN panels due to how little I watch and how much I game.

There is also extra bells and whistles in some monitors like Gsync / FreeSync, monitor software for reduced blur, reduced ms and such. Stuff like being curved, ultrawide etc. and some other crap.

None of the extras really matter too much, but some can be nice to have.

End note for now is that find a 1080p 120/144Hz within your budget. If you have a beefy PC grab a 1440p.

I also hope some others jump on and say a couple words 'cause I'm not an expert in monitors by any means ^^
Frank Machin
Private
Private

Post by Frank Machin »

Spec wise

Gfx-Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6gb
Ram -16gig
Cpu-I7 6700k @ 4ghz
Samsung- SSD
Window 10

Only gaming dont watch tv or use it for anything else.
Budget about £400
VoidProxy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by VoidProxy »

With a 1060 6GB, im not sure you'll be at a comfortable performace if you get 1440p/144hz
I would like plan B suggest to get a 1080p/144hz, given your specs and budget (not that you cant get 1440p/144hz for that prize)
★ Recruitment Officer ★
Plan B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Plan B »

With the 1060 (a 4 year old GPU by now btw) you're not gonna be able to do 1440p at all with reasonable FPS. So I would recommend a 1080p 144Hz. Don't really know what models to recommend though.
Frank Machin
Private
Private

Post by Frank Machin »

If i get a 1440 nonitor would i still be able to game with my 1060gfx card up to 144hz?

Im thinking if i get the better monitor now so that when i eventually upgrade my gfx card. im future proof already.
Does that make sense?
Zodika
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Zodika »

You should be able to downscale both the resolution, and the HZ of the monitor, so it suits your 1060 :D
★ Recruitment Officer★
Iglo
Private
Private

Post by Iglo »

I would recommend looking in to g-sync (compatible) / freesync support as Plan B mentioned. These technologies adjust the refresh rate of your monitor to match that of your video card, which will stop tearing en stuttering (smooth gameplay). Depending on your GPU look for G-sync (compatible) = Nvidia, Freesync ("Standard"/Premium/Premium pro) = AMD.

This technology does improve the game play in my experience quite a bit, certainly with games like Squad/PS as the games/maps are not (always) super well optimized and frame rates can vary quite a bit.

This video explains the principle quite clearly (G-sync will do the same as Freesync):
Plan B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Plan B »

nVidia also allows FreeSync now btw, but only on certain monitors, usually ones that cost a tad more.

As Zodika said you can downscale the resolution and Hz (however 0 reason to turn down Hz). From what I've been told turning down the res from 1440p to 1080p looks dogshit though, worse than a regular 1080p. So that's up to you if you wanna go that route.

A lot of games will perform very poorly on a 1060 in 1440p, so unless you plan on upgrading the gpu soon I wouldn't recommend it. But that's just my opinion, it could still be very much worth it for you!

As for my experience with FreeSync. I didn't benefit from it extremely much, it was a lifesaver in 2-3 games (Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example), it adds a tiny bit of input lag (not noticeable unless you're a snob like me) so I prefer going without any Sync tech enabled.
DonPoedel

Post by DonPoedel »

Honestly if you want future proof you buy a 1440p 144hz and play on 1080p until you get a new graphics card.
DonPoedel

Post by DonPoedel »

Plan B wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:40 pm nVidia also allows FreeSync now btw, but only on certain monitors, usually ones that cost a tad more.

As Zodika said you can downscale the resolution and Hz (however 0 reason to turn down Hz). From what I've been told turning down the res from 1440p to 1080p looks dogshit though, worse than a regular 1080p. So that's up to you if you wanna go that route.

A lot of games will perform very poorly on a 1060 in 1440p, so unless you plan on upgrading the gpu soon I wouldn't recommend it. But that's just my opinion, it could still be very much worth it for you!

As for my experience with FreeSync. I didn't benefit from it extremely much, it was a lifesaver in 2-3 games (Shadow of the Tomb Raider for example), it adds a tiny bit of input lag (not noticeable unless you're a snob like me) so I prefer going without any Sync tech enabled.
I have constant problems with gsync. Ain't worth it, if you run high and steady fps. Gsync and freesync become obsolete. Better off capping your fps to monitor refresh rate.
Frank Machin
Private
Private

Post by Frank Machin »

Wow fellas some very knowledeable chaps on here. Thank you for the advice.

I might have a cheap solution. My nephew might be upgrading his monitor very soon he said. And he's offered me his current 27in 144ghz 1080p at what he says will be a steal.

Which from what you guys seem to be saying would suit me down to the ground for now with my gfx.
UnholyMuffin
Warrant Officer 2
Warrant Officer 2

Post by UnholyMuffin »

Sounds like a win win to me. Save a few bucks now and eventually upgrade gpu and monitor when you have saved up a little :D
★ Recruitment Officer★
Frank Machin
Private
Private

Post by Frank Machin »

That's the plan mate. :D
Iglo
Private
Private

Post by Iglo »

Sounds like a very good plan!
falcon.3
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by falcon.3 »

Plan B wrote:With the 1060 (a 4 year old GPU by now btw) you're not gonna be able to do 1440p at all with reasonable FPS. So I would recommend a 1080p 144Hz. Don't really know what models to recommend though.
I have a 1060gtx on a 1440p and play squad at a 1080p resolution. I do a lot of Office work and development on that pc too, so I get a lot of value out of the resolution. But forget 30+ fps at 1440p on anything but medium or low.

F3

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk