£500-£700 PC builds

This forum provides an area for Drunken, lost or just generally confused subjects.
No talk about PC games.
Rules still apply though.
Urban
Private
Private

£500-£700 PC builds

Post by Urban »

Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've had to look for parts and I'm genuinely out of the loop on everything. If anybody is clued up and wants to help out I'm trying to get a friend set up with an alright build around £500-£600.

Anyone able to suggest any compatible parts? It's generally gonna be used as a general house computer with some mid-range gaming so nothing intensive.

Thanks in advance :)
VoidProxy
Corporal
Corporal

Re: £500-£700 PC builds

Post by VoidProxy »

Hi!

So I made a little list, that I made around (just below actually) 650 pounds (without windows, only the PC itself)
That would perform pretty decetly with this Ryzen 5 and 1660!
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bHfyNq (I made it on the UK site because you were talking about pounds anyways)

I have built a lot of PC's lately so I know what is one of the best budget pc's to build with the current available components.

So, I chose AMD processor because those right now have the most bang for buck right now, the motherboard is backwards and forwards compatible with all Ryzen chips (Zen+, not the Zen2 gen) it being an AM4 socket.

I didn't include a cooler because without overclocking this chip runs completely fine with the stock cooler!

The graphics card is a true beauty, 1660 is one of the newest budget cards out there from Nvidea, it runs pretty cool
and it gets you 60+ fps on high on most of the games right now

As for storage I chose a M.2 boot drive so you are up and running in seconds! But it's a 'small' one so don't go putting all your games on it. It's mostly for your operating system and most used application so they are always nice and quick.

For games and general storage I chose just a basic (but still good) hard drive 1TB Seagate Baracuda 7200Rpm drive. This is a great drive, I have mine (but the 2TB variant) for like 4 years now and it still works very nice. Altough I chose for 1TB, depending on how many games your friend has, a 2TB drive would be better if I'm honest.

As for the ram, Corsair lpx Vengeance 2x8GB (16gb 3000Mhz) is like a ol' reliable, it works, its nice and it does the job. (also nice the 3000Mhz is like the minimum for Ryzen if you wanna get everything out of your chip, Ryzen is a bit speed hungry :))) )

The rest is pretty basic, I chose a random case that fits everything, a random power supply from Corsair that has a 'fine' rating (reliable but not amazing.)

This is pretty much it, if you have any questions, comments or like want something changed (in case the budget can be bigger or smaller whatever)

Let me know :)
★ Recruitment Officer ★
Plan B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Plan B »

Are you up for building one yourself or you lookin for a prebuilt? If you're lookin to build yourself you can likely salvage some parts from your current one and reuse them (PSU, HDD / SSD, case etc.)

Edit: somehow I missed that it's for your friend, my point stands though!
Urban
Private
Private

Post by Urban »

Fantastic VoidProxy, thanks so much for your time and effort on this :) Pretty much ideal.

Plan B, unfortunately they don't have one already, they've always used consoles and a laptop, but yeah I'll put it together to save on money. Good shouts though :)
Plan B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Plan B »

Alrighty, in that case I can offer an alternative, alebeit more expensive version https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ThePlanB/saved/Z7Kj23

It offers a much better CPU and a better GPU (Void also linked 2666 RAM instead of 3200 :p )
VoidProxy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by VoidProxy »

Plan B wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:12 am Alrighty, in that case I can offer an alternative, alebeit more expensive version https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/ThePlanB/saved/Z7Kj23

It offers a much better CPU and a better GPU (Void also linked 2666 RAM instead of 3200 [emoji14] )
Excuse you, my ram was 3000 >:(

Nice list! I normally tend to try to stay below budget because people still have to get windows after and that tends to then get out of budget, but you know for like the 25+- bucks that is over 700 this is very very nice. I'd buy this if I was getting into PC gaming.

Edit: Oops my bad, thought I did choose the right one.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qCcRtp
Last edited by VoidProxy on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
★ Recruitment Officer ★
Planetgong
Captain
Captain

Post by Planetgong »

Yeah. Nice set ups. The gpu is tiptop if you're only casual gaming. No need to invest more. Ryzen all the way. Maybe you will spend another 20 bucks for a cpu cooler like this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/hyQ ... oler-bk008
Bigger fan with heatpipes --> better cooling--> less noise
Plan B
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Plan B »

VoidProxy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:22 am Edit: Oops my bad, thought I did choose the right one.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/qCcRtp
According to the MSI's website the mobo doesn't support 3600 ram with the R5 2600 Image

And also Ryzen doesn't just scale of Mhz, it scales off of timings as well, and CL20 is a big oof, If you wanna pump out some extra speed then I'd use the Patriot Viper 3600 with a CL17 Image or even the T-FORCE cause it's cheaper

Edit: as for windows, you can just get an OEM key from Amazon for like 2-3 quid, worked very well for me and my mates <3
VoidProxy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by VoidProxy »

Plan B wrote:
According to the MSI's website the mobo doesn't support 3600 ram with the R5 2600 Image

And also Ryzen doesn't just scale of Mhz, it scales off of timings as well, and CL20 is a big oof, If you wanna pump out some extra speed then I'd use the Patriot Viper 3600 with a CL17 Image or even the T-FORCE cause it's cheaper

Edit: as for windows, you can just get an OEM key from Amazon for like 2-3 quid, worked very well for me and my mates <3
God dammit can I choose the right ram for once?

I checked the compatibility but I was at work so I didn't pay attention. Nice one bro.

@Urban ^ dis guy smart
★ Recruitment Officer ★